Status of residence

Entering Japan from Overseas (COVID-19)

The following information is for those whose status of residence is "Student."
Immigration policies and border control rules may change at any time. Be sure to check the latest information from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

  Immigration requirements

If you are a non-Japanese international student who is currently living outside of Japan and wish to re-enter Japan, please check the following to determine if you meet the re-entry requirements.
(1) You have a status of residence and left Japan with a re-entry permit (or special re-entry permit) and the deadline for re-entry has not passed yet.
(2) You left Japan with a re-entry permit (or special re-entry permit) but cannot re-enter Japan by the re-entry deadline due to certain reasons such as travel restrictions.
In this case, in order to re-enter Japan, you must request and be issued a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), inform the Japanese Embassy or Consulate General in your country or region where you are staying that you were unable to re-enter Japan by the re-entry deadline, and obtain a visa.
Contact the International Relations Office to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). The procedure takes about three months.

  Entering Japan from overseas

The following procedure must be completed to enter Japan from overseas. 
・From October 11, 2022, except for returnees and entrants with symptoms of suspected COVID-19 infection, on-arrival test at the quarantine station, self-quarantine in places such as their own residence or accommodations, and refraining from use of public transportation are no longer required.
・All returnees and entrants are required to show either a valid COVID-19 vaccination certificate of three doses of vaccines prescribed on the Emergency Use List of World Health Organization (WHO), or a certificate of negative test result of pre-departure COVID-19 test conducted within 72 hours prior to departure from the original country/region.

※For some countries and areas, there may be tentative boarder measures to be applied. Please closely check the below URL.
※Regardless of the aforementioned measures, those entering Japan must yield to any additional instructions from the quarantine stations regarding COVID-19 testing at the port of entry and isolation (including isolation at home). Furthermore, those who test positive are required to isolate in a quarantine facility that has been designated by the head of the quarantine station. The period of isolation cannot be shortened for such cases.
In such a case, you must pay for your quarantine accommodations by yourself.
※Please note that you should not come to the university campuses or related facilities, including Kasai International Dormitory and Kodaira Dormitory, until you have completed quarantine (if required) after entering Japan.

  1. Take a PCR test within 72 hours prior to leaving the country of departure and obtain a test certificate proving that you tested negative. 
    All entrants who do not hold a valid vaccination certificate (three doses) must be examined within 72 hours prior to departure and present a negative test certificate upon entry into Japan.
    The test certificate must meet certain criteria. Be sure to check the details and obtain a test certificate that meets the criteria before leaving the country of departure. 
    For details about test certificates, see the following page on the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare website. 
  2. Bring a smartphone and register for Visit Japan Web in advance.
    When entering Japan, you must have a smartphone on which you can go through the quarantine procedure. If you do not have a smartphone for the procedure, you will be asked to rent a smartphone at the airport before being allowed entry. 
    In order to ease the procedures upon the arrival, please register for"Visit Japan Web"and for the Fast Track in advance. For more information, please visit the following URLs.
  3. Submit a re-entry report to the International Relations Office. (Enrolled students)
    Please submit a re-entry report to the International Relations Office immediately after entering Japan (within 2 days). For information on how to submit a re-entry report, click MUSCAT → My Tools → e-Cabinet → International Relations Office → TEMPORARY DEPARTURE FROM JAPAN AND RE-ENTRY.

  After entering Japan

Please follow the instructions in the Musashino University guidelines for preventing the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) infection
Reference: Musashino University Response to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Related websites

- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare FAQ on reinforced quarantine measures